Tuesday, July 31, 2007

End of a frisbee era



Our 7-year old red tri-color Australian Shepherd, Rudy (on the right), has been an incredible Frisbee dog over the years. He never seems to tire of catching it and giving 110%. I've seen him do mid-air 360 degree turns a couple of times. We noticed a few times this summer that moderate amounts of exercise (especially when company had been over swimming and playing with him) resulted in limping the day after. Deb took him to the vet today, and the X-ray showed fairly severe hip dysplasia at work. The doctor said surgery wasn't called for yet, but he did prescribe Rymadil for arthritis, and said his frisbee-catching days are probably over. So we are sad - it was a wonder to watch him catch, and to see how intensely focused he would become when waiting for the next throw.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sad for Rudy. That dog is truly an amazing site with the Frisbee, and it gives him so much joy! What am I going to do now when I dog-sit them? Guess we'll have to go for walks instead! CNab

Brian said...

I am very sorry to hear this, Chuck. I'm sure it's got to be tough on you and Deb (not to mention Rudy).

Peace,
Brian